Justin Rose – Gratitude, Mindset and Attitude Always Win

by Dr. Stephen Walker

Justin Rose won the FedEx Cup in grand fashion yesterday – besting the world’s best, including a resurgence by Tiger Woods that had the golfing world cheering louder than ever before.  Everyone was totally blessed by both the Player’s Championship Win by Tiger Woods, and, Justin Rose’ fabulous season ending FedEx Cup win.

Before Sunday’s final round at the Tour Championship, Justin Rose already had won two PGA Tour events this season, earned 10 top-10 finishes and collected more than $7.7 million in prize money. His Sunday 73 at East Lake Golf club did not earn him a third win for the year, but it was good enough to give the Englishman his first FedEx Cup title and the $10 million prize that comes with it.

“Sometimes the FedEx Cup rewards guys who win at the very end, but for me, I was trying to do my best to win this golf tournament and scoop the double jackpot. But far and away, being next to this trophy is something I’m very, very proud of.”

Tiger Woods seized the headlines and ended five years of frustration Sunday by winning the Tour Championship by two strokes over Billy Horschel.  Yesterday was a great day for Golf, and a fabulous day for Tiger Woods.  Rose capped what is arguably the best year ever for a PGA Tour player.  Watch out for next week’s Ryder Cup – it will be awesome!!!!!

9 thoughts on “Justin Rose – Gratitude, Mindset and Attitude Always Win

• September 27, 2018 at 1:56 pm

A pro golfer has a caddy. He can discuss strategy with the caddy! I think there should be a clear delineation between discussing “mental toughness” and peak performance in top pro athletes and everyone else who wants to do well in sports.
    I invented a way to improve the mental side of tennis. A way to keep score in an intuitive way on the throat of the racket. It is, of course, for the 99.5% of players who do not get a game and tie-break scoreboard and a judge with a microphone announcing the score.
    Comparing how relaxed mentally the top athletes can be, how they can free their mind of distracting elements like keeping the score in working memory, with all of us who play sports is just silly.

• October 17, 2018 at 11:12 pm

Hi Lynne,
      Can you write a brief article on your scoring system? I’d like to look at it. I’ll preview it personally and let you know if I don’t think it is ready for primetime, but I like the idea.
      Thanks,
      Steve

• October 18, 2018 at 11:05 am

Hi Stephen,
        Let me know if I can send you a few packs of izzers to try out. I think an interesting area of study might be to ascertain how deleterious it is for tennis players to “get into a rhythm” with their opponent.
        I wrote the article for you at LinkedIn. You are welcome to republish it.
        I look forward to your input.

Izzers are thin, aerodynamic, and weigh just 3 grams. I make a cartoon drawing of them as clunky colorful blocks so that they are more apparent on my packaging. I spoke with the researchers in Bielefeld and they were pleased that I had found a practical use for their research.

Regards,
        Lynne Hartmann
        izzers LLC
        Melbourne Beach, Florida

• February 7, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Hi Lynne,
          It took me a while but I finally checked out Izzers – and I really like the concept. There is a guy named Mark Milne, who has crafted an alternative scoring system called 30-Thirty tennis. His premise is to shorten the amount of time it takes to play a match, but his approach – and yours with Izzers – involves a re-engineering of the game for specific purposes. For example, when USTA began “Tiny Tennis”, it experimented with the size of the balls, the racquet and smaller courts – they were attempting to engage younger athletes at a higher level than before.

What happened is that tennis began to grow the game, a lot. And, it didn’t take long for it to supplant “Golf” as America’s fastest growing sport. Add to that the influx of “Pickleball” players – and tennis has reinvented itself. My nephew has just moved to Jacksonville, and I believe he will be teaching tennis at St. Johns. What are the chances of that? I’d like to follow up with him (Aaron Brown) and his wife (Michelle, a USPTA pro) to see what they think of this system.

Izzers takes a scientific approach through the use of ‘working memory’ and employs an engineering solution to scoring. Brilliant. Thanks for reaching out to me on this. Let’s talk further – I’m thinking it might be nice to have you reach out to Mark and maybe we can design an article on the “Re-engineering of tennis scoring through Izzers and 30-thirty. Thoughts?
          Dr. Walker

• February 24, 2019 at 5:27 pm

Hi Dr. Walker, I would love to hear about Aaron and Michelle’s experience teaching with my izzers scoring system. How great they are with St. John!
            I have spoken to Mark Milne before, and I think we have very different ideas. He is trying to shorten the tennis experience, I think, so that less time is needed to keep the score in working memory. Izzers allows players to focus on the experience of playing, whether they are playing only a tie-break or playing just to four games; the entire time they can focus on planning movements and replanning.
            The other day I marked the score after the point, then relaxed taking a moment to watch an osprey make a nest. I had been playing for relaxation that day and was able to play well and achieve that goal. (We had agreed to only play one set.)
            An experience like that deepened my appreciation for tennis, which is important to growing the sport.
            I was just re-reading Dr. Spiegel’s 2013 research “Movement planning and attentional control of visuospatial working memory: evidence from a grasp-to-place task”. Dr. Spiegel’s team found that fewer objects were held in WM and time to execution was prolonged when replanning was needed, I think.
            I am working with Florida Tech’s Applied Cognitive Research Dept to create some new research based on Dr. Spiegel’s work. I would love to talk with you about it!

• February 24, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Hi Lynne,
            I’m hoping to be in Jacksonville later in March, and we’re planning a meet up with Aaron and Michelle. I’m attending a training at the One Ocean resort. My email is [email protected]. Send me your contact information. Thanks

• December 9, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Hi Lynne,
          Thanks for sending, I have not read it yet. I’ll be back after I’ve had a chance to review it. I’m wrapping up the term, finals, closing out practicums etc. So it might be a couple of weeks.
          Best,